Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Ek Kahani

Pritam, you have topped the class again. Congratulations!”, said Professor Bhansonare. Pritam, the class topper and Bhansonare’s favorite student, was standing up, beaming in pride. The class students started clapping while Professor Bhansonare continued, “Class, if you ever desire to prosper in life, be like Pritam. In life, studying hard is the only way to come up.”

After a few seconds of applause, the students returned back to their usual silent self. Professor Bhansonare was about to distribute the exam papers of other students. The very thought of hearing Bhansonare’s sarcastic comments irked each and every one in the class. As expected, most of the class had scored average marks. None so worse than Nitish, Bhansonare’s least favorite student, who had failed, scoring only 17/100.

Bhansonare turned towards the back row where Nitish was seated. “Dear students! You know what? Nitish has yet again failed in MATHS.” Nitish hung his head in shame. Professor Bhansonare continued, “Teaching students like you is a waste of time. This is the second terminal exam that you have failed in Mathematics. If you can’t solve simple problems in Probability and Trigonometry, how will you survive in life? I am not sure you can improve now. MARK my words; you are NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO EVEN BECOME A CLERK. Oh my god, how am I gonna show cent per cent results in the upcoming board exams. This fellow is gonna spoil my reputation for sure.”

Nitish hung his head in shame. This was the umpteenth time that he had been insulted. Nitish was not a bad student. He had excelled in extra curricular activities like Essay Writing and Dramatics, but could never repeat his performance in studies. Bhansonare was harsh on Nitish because he feared that Nitish was an obstacle to the school’s record of scoring 100% results.

During the next annual Parent-Teachers meeting, Bhansonare did his best to convince the principal to exclude Nitish from appearing in the forthcoming board exams and was successful. Nitish was dismissed on grounds of consistent poor performance.

Years rolled by. Bhansonare was now accompanying his 20 year old son, who was about to attend a non-campus interview for a lucrative trainee position in a reputed MNC, Sapiosys Infotech. Bhansonare’s son entered the building to attend the interview while Bhansonare was waiting in the company’s cafeteria sipping a cup of tea. Suddenly, he saw a person calling out his name. He turned around and realized it was none other than his former student, Pritam.

Pritam: “Sir, What a pleasant surprise?”
Bhansonare: “Oh. Pritam beta, is it you? I am so happy to see you here. How are you? What are you doing here?”
Pritam: “I am fine sir. I work as a Project Manager here. I am very happy to see you.”
Bhansonare: “Nice to hear that beta. My son Rupesh, is here for an interview. He is a BE graduate and has applied for the post of a Trainee Programmer in your company.“
Pritam: (Having a look at Amit’s resume copy given by Bhansonare) He has a good academic record, if he passes the aptitude test and the second round, I will ensure he gets selected.

(As they were speaking, Rupesh comes)

Rupesh: Dad, I completed the second round. The interview was tough, I’ve done my best. Let’s see.
Bhansonare: Ok son. Let’s go to the reception and wait there. Maybe they would announce the results soon.

(Bhansonare and Rupesh move to the reception where the interviewer announces the results of folks, who have been shortlisted for the last round. Rupesh finds he has been not shortlisted for the final round)

Rupesh: This is unfair dad. I had done well in the test, yet they failed to shortlist me. This is not fair.
Bhansonare: Cool down son. One of my old students is a Project Manager here, let’s visit him, perhaps he may be able to help.


(Rupesh and Bhansonare go to the receptionist and request an appointment with Pritam. The receptionist calls Pritam, who asks the receptionist to give the phone to Bhansonare)


Bhansonare (Explains the situation to Pritam on the phone): This is what happened, they rejected my son for some reason.
Pritam: (After checking Amit’s results with the HR team): Sir, I am sorry. We rejected your son because we are looking for Engineering students who have background in Computer Science or Information Technology. Your son has specialized in Electronics and Telecommunication. I am sorry, we used to recruit candidates from all streams and train them, earlier, but now since we have very less training budget, we are focusing only on a certain skill set.
Bhansonare: “But beta, my son has a good academic record. Furthermore, he has completed a diploma in Information Technology.”
Pritam: “I am sorry again, I have been given the responsibility of recruiting candidates who have basic level skills in C++, Java and other skills. While your son has done a diploma, he still does posses the required skill set as his test results showed. I cannot afford to recruit a candidate who needs to be trained. It will spoil my training budget and resource utilization. We pride here in 100% billable resources right from second month of training sir. Your son does not fit the bill. Sorry to say this. I have a meeting, will call you later.”

Bhansonare (Mumbling to himself): That ungrateful wretch, I gave special attention and support to him in his school days and see how he returns the favor. Bloody wretch...
Rupesh: “Appa, what happened?”
Bhansonare: “Pritam says he can’t help us. I guess you have to try some other company.”



(Walks away in shock. Just when Bhansonare and Rupesh are about to leave, they hear a voice calling Bhansonare’s name)



Bhansonare: (Looks behind to see a person with a french beard): “Sorry, I am not sure I recognized you. Do we know each other?”
Person A: “Pardon me, but I think I know you. Are you Bhansonare, a teacher, at HSS, Kopargaon?”
Bhansonare: “Yes. But how do we know each other.”
Person A: “Well, my brother studied there. You were his class teacher.”
Bhansonare: (Still irritated due to the discussion with Pritam): “Err, nice meeting you beta. But I gotta go.”
 Person A: “Sorry to disturb you, may I know why you are. Do you want to meet someone?”

Bhansonare (Looks irritated, but still explains): “I am afraid they rejected my son Rupesh. I gotto go now.”
 Person A: No problem sir. Please wait for 5 minutes, I may be able to help you. (Picks his mobile and calls the HR department to get Rupesh’s details)
Person A (Speaks to Rupesh and Bhansonare): “Rupesh, you have done very well in the tests. But since you have not specialized in IT, they are not willing to recruit you.”
Bhansonare: “We know…. I am afraid there’s nothing we can do about that.”
 Person A: “So Pritam rejected your son because he wanted resources, who could show 100% utilization after they complete training? Is it so?”
 Bhansonare: “Err…………Yes… That ungrateful wretch.”


Person A: “Don’t worry sir. I think I can help. I am the Manager of Human Resource Management here. We have a special training for candidates who are from the non-IT background. Perhaps, if your son is willing to undergo this 2 month training with just a marginal stipend, maybe I can help him out.”
 Rupesh:” Thank you sir. I agree. Please let me know from when I should attend the training.”
Person A: “Well, I will speak to my HR team members. Then I'll get back to you tomorrow.”
Bhansonare (Smiles finally): “Thanks son. I am indebted to you. I don’t know who you are, but you have helped us while that ungrateful wretch Pritam didn't even bother.”
 Person A: “You must stop blaming Mr.Pritam. He was just following what he was taught during his schooldays.”

Bhansonare: “What do you mean?”
Person A: “I am not sure you remember. But ten years before, you had dismissed a student, Nitish Kumar, stating the reason that he was poor in mathematics. Didn’t you?”
Bhansonare: “Yes, Nitish…I remember. You see he was doing badly in maths. Furthermore, the board exams were nearing. I didn't want him to fail and stop the class from scoring a cent per cent pass result.”

Person A: “Precisely. Pritam has also done the same. He rejected your son because your son didn’t possess the necessary skill. Moreover, Pritam saw your son as a threat to the billable utilization of his team. He wasn’t ready to recruit a resource and then train him. The same was the case with you. You could have taken special efforts to help Nitish, instead you chose to dismiss him.”


Bhansonare (Feels ashamed and irritated at the same time): “Nonsense, how do you know? Nitish was useless, he would not have done better had he been retained. I pity that guy, he was good for nothing. Why are you so concerned about Nitish?”
Person A: “Well, unfortunately, your attitude hasn’t changed much. Nitish happens to be in a key position in this company. So be careful with your words.
Bhansonare: “Nitish?????? Key position…. (Laughs for a few seconds) That idiot was not good enough to do simple sums in probability and statistics, how can he be in a big position in the MNC. Ha ha”
Person A: (Irritated to the core)Yes, Nitish, the same useless fellow, is here at SAPIOSYS INFOTECH. In fact, your son’s fate would be decided by Nitish. So, be careful with your words.
Bhansonare (Mumbling to himself): “Hmm, I thought Nitish would never pass.. What an irony? I now need to respect to him.”
 Person A: Ok, I got to go now. Here’s my visiting card. Ask Rupesh to meet me tomorrow at 10 AM sharp. Here’s my card.

(Person A Leaves)

Bhansonare (Laughs): Rupesh, look at the irony. Pritam, one of my best students and Nitish, one of the dumbest students, are in the same company. Wonder how Nitish got into Sapiosys??? Must be by recommendation.
Rupesh: I am not sure appa. Because I think the person we were talking to is actually Nitish Kumar, the Senior Manager of HR, here. I heard during the interview that he was one of the most respected employees at Sapiosys Infotech.
Bhansonare: Naaah, can’t be him. Nitish failed in mathematics. He would have never made it big, that too in a company like this……That must be some other Nitish.


“You ARE NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO BECOME A CLERK”, Bhansonare remembered those scornful words to Nitish. The next day, Rupesh attends the final round and comes home dejected, with a letter addressed to Bhansonare.

Bhansonare: “What happened?”
Rupesh: “I don’t know. I did well in the third round. Everything seemed to go fine till the person whom we spoke yesterday, entered the room.”
Bhansonare: “Why? What did he say?”

Rupesh: “He handed this letter to me and asked me to give it to you. He said I was rejected and he had mentioned the reason in the paper.”
Bhansonare: What the helll? (Opens the letter and reads)



Dear Sir,
This is Nitish, the useless brat from XII B, 2006 batch. Many years ago, I was struggling with my studies, foolishly hoping that you would help me to improve. But instead of helping you, you devoted most of your time in humiliating me, viewing me as a pest, and finally dismissing me from school. You called me dumb and not fit enough even to become a clerk. However, thankfully god had other plans and I was GOOD ENOUGH TO BECOME A SENIOR HR MANAGER of a REPUTED COMPANY. After many years, I saw you yesterday. Even despite my previous bitter experiences, I truly wanted to help your son and still want to. But after speaking to you yesterday, I feel you are right, “The end does justify the means.” I was initially thinking of recruiting your son after he completed the company-sponsored training. However, after yesterday’s discussion, I feel that I should not compromise by recruiting your son as he is not good enough to BECOME EVEN A TRAINEE PROGRAMMER at SAPIOSYS INFOTECH. Take care and thanks for the enlightenment.
Yours disobediently,
Nitish Kumar

Bhansonare’s eyes were almost in tears. He realized that his earlier follies may have cost his son a good job. Suddenly, he sees Rupesh change his expression from disappointment to a childish smile. Bhansonare looks at the mail again. There are still a few lines below the signature of Nitish.

I know that you would have been cursing me by now. I just wanted to write this mail to show how disappointed I was with you. I have not rejected your son. He has been selected as a Trainee Programmer. Ask him to be join soon. BTW….please be kind to dumb students, you never know when they come in handy. After reading the letter, Bhansonare smiled. The DUMB STUDENT had made a wise decision.



P.S : I hope you enjoy reading this blog post. It is the longest post I have written yet. I tried my level best to maintain the interest of the reader. Lets see, if I succeed. BTW you being here makes it quite clear that it was interesting enough for you to bear. And addressed to all, Nitish, Pritam, Rupesh, Bhansonare and Sapiosys Infotech all 5 proper nouns used in this story are purely fictional and they got nothing to do with real life. Whats next, you know very well, that coincidence thing and bla bla bla....For now, thank you very much. And ya, one more thing, please do not click on the advertisement flashing on he right side of the blog. :P

9 comments:

KEERTI said...

Captivating..the first blog post i cud find time to read since oct and glad for it too..been witness to such sitvations as well..not just abt HR or recruitment but more abt being stabbed by the same person whon u look up to for encouragement,approval and support.

MishraG said...

Great post! It kept me glued right till the last line! kudos! And this post too supports the classic theory of every child being special! However nitish, I hold a disagreement! The Nitish in the story makes it to some HR dept of a reputed firm. Cool! Great! But wait...that same kid did not know mathematics at school! Was it sheer luck that sailed him through the entrance? I wish not. I'll consider him a real hardworking kid. But where did his hard-work go when he was at school? If he was so damn hardworking, why did he not show that at school? Why he kept acting stupid then? I'll tell you why. Because he was a kind of kid who won't work until the skies fell. So when things were at peace during school, he did not work. He caressed life and let it go the way it was going. However as time went by, and when he understood that mediocrity has no value in today's tough world, he studied, he worked hard and managed places! Eventually he had to do what Pritam used to do at his early age, when he loathed him for that. Every child is special, I agree, but very few of this "special" lot make their place in the real world. The others, eventually have to follow the same beaten track!

priti said...

Vry well writn n vry intrstn.........
.....jz lyk a coin hz two sides,,,we cn see ds situation the other way too,,,may b it wz "Negative Reinforcement" dt hd wrkd for nitish......if hz teacher wud hv nt takn dt step may be he wud hv nt bn dr,,so may be it wz turning point in nitish's lyf. :)

Balwant Kumar verma said...

Nice story Nitish... enjoyed reading ..
but m feeling awkward to write the following lines...yet again 4 d 2nd tym,...
...Good story but quiet predictable :-/

plzz keep posting. luv ur blog. plz get back to ur awesome articles based on some issues.

Balwant Kumar verma said...

@Prince Mishra: Very nicely written review man...luved it nd totally agree wid u :)

Ashish Pandey said...

A coincidental story told in a very nice way.....was forced to finish it. Shows that everyone is blessed with something, we just need to find it out in them. Also how crucial is the role of teachers in young children's life.
Writing your important words and lines in capital
was a good try.
liked the post.....keep up the work

Unknown said...

good one sir ji..

Anonymous said...

for some reason i like your post ......
its like a mirror to me, only diffrence is its in college.
i hope i can make it...

& to nitish
keep writting .....
we love your post ...

Unknown said...

very nicely writtn.........bt somehow i agree wd prince also that not everyone is able to make impact in d real lyf ............n when we r going to see u as a SENIOR HR MANAGER of a REPUTED COMPANY(INFOSYS)..............

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...